Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Purgatory Box


I was reviewing some information on Spirit Daily and came across this article:



What a wonderful idea! A couple years ago I had so many people ask me to pray for them, I was 'forgetting' to put some on the Altar at Mass and then I felt horrid! How could I forget this person? I felt as if I let them down. That was when I created my 'Jesus Jar.' It is a wicker basket (actually a kleenex box basket with lid) where I drop in a note with a prayer intention or a person's name that I am praying for. At Mass now, I place the 'Jesus Jar' on the Altar - and I know everyone is included.




Why not do the same with those in Purgatory? I have already listed relatives who have died in my Jesus Jar (my grandparents - both sides; Aunts; Uncles; Friends; and others who I know need prayers)...but why not include more? Why not include all of the Priests, Deacons, Religious, and all lay people in the Jesus Jar - or - in this case - a Purgatory Package.
I have been told that there are many in Purgatory who need our prayers. When they are finally lifted into Heaven, able to share in God's Heavenly Kingdom, they pray for those who prayed for them, asking God to send us graces beyond our comprehension.


I have some International Coffee boxes in my office - I think I will convert one into a Purgatory Package...and pray for them often.



St. Gertrude the Great prayer: A prayer which would release 1,000 souls from purgatory each time it is said.

"Eternal father, I offer you the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. - Amen"


5 comments:

Susan said...

Lillian, I too saw the article on Spirit Daily; from there I wanted more information which brought me to your blog.

Last night my daughter asked me to pray for a young man who killed himself. My list of souls are growing and I was afraid I may forget to pray for him in time because I did not know him. With a Purgatory Box, I will have him in my prayers all my days on earth!

Lillian, would you add this young man to your box. His name is Luke and he suffered from depression.

God Bless you sister,
Susan

Lillian Marie said...

Susan -

Thanks for sharing - I have placed Luke in my Purgatory Box and ask all of the readers who see this to do the same.

Ave Maria said...

How do I obtain a high resolution image of the painting you posted of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? I need it for my wedding Mass program, asap!! Thank you!

maryS. said...

I too would like to make Purgatory box but I don't know how I also read this in purgatory page.thank you for giving me a good idea, We have here Prayer warriors of the holy soul.here in davao I would like to share this to them.God bless.

K. said...

Mary - The more people we have praying for those in Purgatory, the faster they will leave Purgatory and get into Heaven. Yes - please pass on the information.